Friday, April 9, 2010

Pitch to Pixel Song Profile: Warrior

Now that I've run out of freebies, my next plan is to give you all some insight on all the other songs on the album. I'll write one of these per day until I run out!

Track number two is called "Warrior," which is a reference to the NES game "Dragon Warrior." Like many, I received the game as a freebie from Nintendo Power magazine. They seemed very keen on promoting JRPGs at a time when they were unheard of, especially on game consoles. The NES would get the occasional odd port of something like Ultima, but it was really Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy that would begin a long tradition of gaming that continues to this day.

I have always been pleasantly haunted by the beautiful, contrapuntal classicism of Dragon Warrior's music, and this track is an attempt to imitate this. Here's some of that wonderful Dragon Warrior music:

2 comments:

  1. Can I put in a request for Genesis/MD-sounding tunes for the next album? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. In fact one of my goals for future projects is to incorporate a broader range of chip sounds. I'm probably going to write a "tech" post sometime, but I will say one thing that influenced my decision is the easy availability of really good sounding NES synths. But there are definitely other things around.

    ReplyDelete