Friday, April 30, 2010

Best of chip 4/30

One difference I have with many chiptune composers out there (that I suspect comes from my musical training and background) is that I tend to write things based on classical song structures; i.e. my tunes usually have a melody, followed by a counter melody, and maybe a bridge and chorus (something like ABA or ABBA for your classical music nerds out there). These same forms are very common throughout pop music as well (verse - chorus - verse).

Most chiptune peeps write things that are much more akin to typical electronic dance music; they focus on texture and melody more than harmony, so your typical original chiptune tends to be modal (uses one underlying harmony), with a repeating melody. In this, the average chiptune enthusiast is also quite different than the composers who inspired them from the video game world, which is why chiptunes like mine are sometimes referred to as "VGM" ("video game music"). To me, calling something "VGM" is a shorthand way of saying, "your stuff sounds like a song."

This isn't a value judgment on the modal, textural stuff. In fact, I'm going to use an example of this style of composing for today's best of chip. Listen for the really neat break beat thing at about 25 seconds in:

No comments:

Post a Comment