Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pitch to Pixel Song Profile: Over The There

Last song profile, I talked about basing a song of off some silly thing I say to my wife. Well, this song is a silly thing my daughter says. Obviously "Over The There" is non-sense, but when a toddler says things like that it is, well, super cute. Basically, whenever she wants to tell me where something is, she says, "Dada, Over The There!"

The song itself is a bit of "bebop" jazz. Bebop refers to a style of jazz that came after the swing era, beginning roughly in the early 1940s. It included players such as Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Christian, and of course Charlie Parker, the most important musician of that era. Bebop is full of frenetic melodies and rapid fire ideas. Since my daughter is super high energy and "in your face," it seemed like a good choice for her :-)

The tune also resembles a Dizzy Gillespie composition called "Groovin' High," which in itself is based on an earlier American song called "Whispering."

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Anthony 'genoboost' I run a vgm news website called Game Music 4 All ( http://gamemusic4all.com ) and found out about your album. I would love to do a short write up on it if possible for my website. If you can send over some mp3s from the album that would be fantastic. Please let me know! You can shoot me an email at gamemusic4all AT gmail DOT com. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anthony! Thanks for checking out the site, and for reminding me that I needed a "contact" section!

    ReplyDelete