Saturday, April 24, 2010

Pitch to Pixel Song Profile: Run

Every song so far described from this album has had a pretty clear purpose or vision. That's pretty fortunate, since I gave myself barely over a month to complete this project. You see, in order for this to be a profitable venture, speed is key. I can't labor over the album for a year, because I want to get other stuff out to market (provided that I at least break even, which I still haven't done yet, hint hint HINT).

I think "Run" is maybe the only song that resulted purely out of the "speed" approach, so I guess "Run" is an appropriate title. I had no idea what to write when I sat down to compose. I just needed to write something. The latin groove that this song uses is kind of accidental. The melody comes from a technique that I use with my jazz guitar students; use a simple motif, over and over.

So, seeing is that I didn't have an artistic "purpose" here other than to make a song, how do I feel about it? I feel fine. Its a good song. Sometimes as a musician (or even as a level designer) you have to get beyond inspiration and just get down to work. If everyone only made art when they were inspired, then we'd have a hard time getting anything done.

Not sure exactly what to post as my "song profile YouTube" clip, so here is some cool chipmusic that isn't from me:

No comments:

Post a Comment