Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pitch to Pixel Song Profile: Pocket Change

Before we go into Pocket Change, one of my personal favorites on the album, let's review the most popular songs so far, not just in pure sales, but also in "attaboys."

The winner is a tie, between "Warrior," still on CDBaby's chiptune charts at #8, and "Eternal Father, Strong to Save," the hymn. Additionally, "Jumpin' Around" has gotten some kudos as well.

Between those songs, you have classical music, the Lutheran Chorale, and early jazz represented here. So that begs the question... what is MY favorite genre of music? Well, I'd say jazz, both straight ahead acoustic style jazz (really, to get specific for the muso nerds out there, I'm a hard bop guy) and fusion. And "Pocket Change" probably nails that side of me better than any of the other tracks.

Pocket Change is a fusion tune, named because it has a deep, groovin' pocket (yeah yeah, it's computerized and all that, but I still think the pocket is tight!) and it has some rather drastic *chord changes*, more simply put, it has weird chords. It also features a "bass" solo, done in the style of Jaco Pastorius. Jaco was a legendary electric bassist in the 70s and 80s with bands such as Weather Report.

Finally, this seems like a good time to bring up the style of music I do other than chiptunes: Jazz. You'll note to the left that I have a few of my jazz rock albums for sale on CDBaby. My solo album, Zeitgeber, is now available for a paltry $5 for the whole darn full length album. It represents me at the height of my powers as a guitar player, and has some great moments on it. Some clown also gave it a mediocre review on CDBaby, so maybe one of you guys can chime in and help me out by writing a better one?

No comments:

Post a Comment