Monday, May 31, 2010

YouTube promos on Gonintendo

Big thanks to RMC from Gonintendo for once again giving me a hand. After getting that big swing in views on the Monster Hunter Battle Music, it was a little odd to see the other two tracks not quite get that traction, so I'm glad to get the assist!

So far it seems that my YouTube efforts have produced about 1800 views or so. Not amazing, but hopefully some of those people went on iTunes, since I see no action from CDBaby just yet (sniff, sniff!). C'mon people!

One thing of note to comment on, the idea of using Famitracker versus using soundchip emulators (the latter of which has been my method). Someone on the Gonintendo post said my stuff wasn't "real 8-Bit." I responded in the post, but I thought I should rap about that here awhile too.

Its a valid criticism. If you want the most authentic NES style music possible, you get yourself a real NES and manipulate the real, actual chip. Of course many people use a Gameboy, as  this is easily to mess with for obvious reasons.

My goals aren't quite in line with that, though. I want to make great music, period, and my circumstances and aesthetic preferences make 8 and 16 bit sounds part of my musical palette. It isn't a purist thing, in other words. I definitely want my music to invoke nostalgia, so a certain amount of authenticity is required. But my goals to not require perfect authenticity, especially when it involves restrictions that either hamper my ability to compose the music or hamper the actual sound, from a professional sound engineering standpoint.

So that is where I'm coming from. Obviously I have no problem calling my stuff "8-bit," and I guess I don't have a problem with people being persnickety about that claim. But for most people, close emulation with some concession for modern production techniques is probably good enough!

4 comments:

  1. Do it your way: it gets better results.

    Also: guess who picked up Monster Hunter Tri today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing... You? I hope my hype is justified, and that we can kill some monsters online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a distinct possibility that we shall, though I'm going to need a few days to get at least minimally familiar w/ the game and level up a bit before I embarass myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like the difference between you and the 'purists' is the definition of 8-bit being a style, not a medium. And besides, you can get some really cool sounds out of modern technology while integrating those gritty chippy sounds of the past.

    ReplyDelete