Friday, May 28, 2010

Best game of 2010 so far

For my money, the best game I've played so far this year is Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii. I am in love, people, with everything about this game, even the dreaded and much hated lack of a lock-on feature (I have, in my view, valid reasons for why the lack of this is justified but I don't want to turn this into a game design wonkfest, I do that in other places!).

The reason why I like it so much are, briefly:

-Removing the idea of "leveling" from an otherwise action RPG paradigm puts and entirely different and fresh emphasis on other stuff.
-The world feels real. Herbivores, carnivores, and other flora and fauna mill about the world in the places that they should. Pack animals react in cool ways (the big herbivore guys will run away if a terrifying monster appears, even if it is only attacking you).
-The online is terrific (yes, for the Wii!). It is a kind of MMO light that I really enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Hey slacker: I asked for opinions on SMG2 on my blog but MR.SMG2 is over here pimping MH3?! What is going on! Up is down, black is white, and Yoshi is over here crying his big blue eyes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! Should be getting that in the mail tomorrow! Then we'll see if it will dethrone the poop hunting, bug catching, fishing, and dino fighting greatness that is Monster Hunter! :-)

    ReplyDelete